These Avocado, Bacon, Mac and Cheese Egg Rolls will be the hit of your tailgate as the most decadent and flavorful appetizer option! They are easy to throw together and really easy to make your own.
Avocado, Bacon, Mac and Cheese Egg Rolls
I love a good tailgate with appetizers and snacks and these egg rolls will be the first ones to go if you bring them. They’re decadent without feeling too heavy.
Cutting them in half is a great way to make sure everyone gets some as well. It also showcases all of the awesome ingredients inside which will leave people wanting more.
I think my favorite part of these egg rolls is that you can make them your own just by changing up the ingredients inside! You can take out the bacon for vegetarians or add more spice for heat lovers.
Other toppings to add to your egg rolls:
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Crumbled chorizo
- Diced peppers
You can use your own mac and cheese recipe, but I found that just using a frozen container helps with how quick the recipe is. The mac and cheese also tends to be less runny so it won’t leak as easily when being fried.
This helps keep the rest of the ingredients in the egg roll as well! One 12 oz. container made 8 egg rolls perfectly. You’ll just want to measure out the mac and cheese to ensure you’ll have enough for each.
I found that 1.75 Tablespoons of mac and cheese on each (specific, I know) was just enough so that you could still close the egg roll.
My favorite dip to use for these egg rolls has to be this Chipotle Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip. It’s spicy, healthier than other ranch options, and will be addictive!
They don’t necessarily need a dip, but this combination puts it over the top! Feel free to try regular ranch dip for kids or those that don’t like spicy.
The first time I rolled egg rolls was a little intimidating, but it really can be easy! You’ll want to put down the wrapper with the corners facing 12, 3, 6, and 9 when you’re looking at it.
You’ll put the ingredients a little below half, then roll the bottom corner over the ingredients. Start to roll that bottom edge and ingredients towards the top corner. You’ll then grab both of the corners on the side and lay them over the middle.
Continue rolling towards the top. Before closing, use a little water to place on both sides of the top corner to help seal the egg roll. Roll all the way up and you’re all set! I like rolling all of them before frying to make it easier to batch together.
Be sure to enjoy and tag me with #theculinarycompass on Instagram if you make this!
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 1 ½ cups prepared mac and cheese, see Notes
- ½ Avocado, sliced
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, diced
- Vegetable oil
- Chipotle ranch, for serving
- On an egg roll wrapper laid out flat with a corner facing towards you, place a layer of mac and cheese first in the middle of the wrapper.I found that using around 1.75 tablespoons of mac and cheese gave an even amount for 8 egg rolls. Top with a slice of avocado, bacon bits, and green onions.
- To fold the egg roll wrapper, take the bottom corner and place over the filling. Wrap both sides over that folded corner and roll the entire thing towards the remaining corner. Use some water to seal off the edges and set aside until ready to fry.
- In a large skillet, fill with an even layer of vegetable oil and heat until 350F. Fry until golden brown on each side, 2-3 minutes, working in batches as to not crowd the pan.
- Place on a plate with a paper towel and fry until batch is done.
- Serve warm with Chipotle Ranch.
I use one container of frozen Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese, but any mac and cheese should work as long as it isn't too runny.
Cuisinart Dishwasher Safe Hard-Anodized 5-Quart Saute Pan with Helper Handle and Cover
Silicone Kitchen Tongs 2 Pack
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 280mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 5g