Have you ever wondered how to grill flank steak? This Grilled Flank Steak is so easy and will be a family favorite for years to come.
Grilled Flank Steak
This grilled flank steak recipe has been around my house for the past 20 years which is wild to say. It was a favorite of our neighborhood so much so that we begged for the recipe when we moved away.
The marinade is the key to the flavor. It helps make the steak more tender and provides a ton of flavor throughout the meat rather than just a sauce that is on the outside.
What marinade do you use?
The marinade is made up of a few ingredients that pack a ton of flavor:
- Soy sauce
- Ground ginger
- Cooking sherry
I try and let those marinade for at least 6 hours, but you can even do it overnight. You can use a gallon plastic bag to let them all sit together.
I personally use a Tupperware Season Serve so it’s something that is reusable! You can find the link to this in the recipe card below.
How to Grill Flank Steak
You’ll want to cook the flank steak over a pre-heated grill over medium-high heat. I shoot for around 350°F and let the steak cook for 8-10 minutes on both sides.
This makes sure you have enough time to check the steak for doneness without burning the outside or overcooking it!
How long does it take to grill flank steak?
Since flank steak is a thin and lean cut of meat, it doesn’t take terribly long to cook. Over a lower heat, it’ll take 8-10 minutes on both sides depending on the doneness you’re looking for.
If you crank up the heat on the grill, it’ll only take 5-6 minutes on both sides which will also give the meat a great char on the outside.
Temperature for Flank Steak
Since flank steak is a thin and more lean cut of meat, the time it takes to reach your desired doneness may be quicker than that of a thicker cut of meat. I love using a digital thermometer to ensure the correct doneness.
Here are the temperatures that you’ll want to look for on the thermometer with the associated doneness. You’ll want to pull off the steak 5° before it reaches that level as it will continue cooking while it rests.
- Rare – 125°F
- Medium Rare – 135°F
- Medium – 145°F
- Medium Well – 150°F
- Well Done – 160°F
How do you cut flank steak?
You’ll want to cut the flank steak against the grain. The grain indicates the location of the muscle fibers and if you were to cut with the grain, it would make a much tougher cut when you bite into it.
Cutting against the grain helps make the meat more tender and helps avoid a chewy piece of meat!
Looking for more delicious things to grill? Check out these:
- Grilled Chicken Drumsticks – These are cooked low and slow and are perfect for the whole family.
- Honey BBQ Sauce – This BBQ Sauce is perfect for just about anything! Definitely try it on the chicken drumsticks.
- Guinness BBQ Ribs – These can be cooked in the oven or on the grill! The sauce is deep, sweet, and addicting!
Be sure to enjoy and tag me with #theculinarycompass on Instagram if you make this!
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup cooking sherry
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 1.5 lb. flank steak
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, cooking sherry, vegetable oil, minced garlic, and ground ginger.
- In a gallon bag or marinading container, add flank steak and cover with marinade. Seal tightly and shake to coat.
- Flip every few hours to ensure both sides are evenly marinaded. Let marinade for a minimum of 2 hours, and as long as overnight. The longer you can let it marinade the better! I usually shoot for around 6 hours if I don't get it setup ahead of time.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill to 350°F.
- Lower the grill heat to low. It’ll hover between 325°F-350°F.
- Place flank steak in the middle of the grill and cook 8-10 minutes on both sides. Shut grill lid while not flipping.
- Use a digital thermometer to ensure middle of steak has reached 135°F for medium rare.
- Remove steak and set on a cutting board and turn off grill.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes, then slice thinly and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 90mg Sodium: 1836mg Carbohydrates: 5g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 36g