Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls are a quick alternative to the classic. These shortcut cinnamon rolls only need a few ingredients for a sweet breakfast!
Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Puff pastry cinnamon rolls are a flaky and tasty twist on the classic cinnamon roll. Made with layers of buttery flaky puff pastry and a delicious cinnamon-sugar filling, these cinnamon rolls are perfect for breakfast or brunch, or even as a sweet treat any time of day.
With their light and airy texture and warm, comforting flavor, these cinnamon rolls are sure to be a hit with anyone who tries them. If you don’t feel like making traditional cinnamon rolls, then this recipe is for you!
The Culinary Compass participates in several different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The flaky cinnamon rolls get a golden brown look and that makes them the perfect pastry to enjoy!
- Adding a little melted butter and powdered sugar makes the best simple topping.
- A yummy cinnamon sugar mixture also makes these cinnamon rolls sweet to enjoy!
Ingredients Needed for Shortcut Cinnamon Rolls
You’ll just need a few ingredients:
- Pre-made puff pastry
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Half and half or milk
- Vanilla extract
Nordic Ware Aluminum Half Sheet
This 2 pack of half sheets is a baking and cooking essential. Perfect for roasting or cookies!
- Crescent Roll Dough: It won’t be quite as light and airy, but it’s a convenient substitute for quick cinnamon rolls.
- Homemade Dough: If you have time, you could make a simple homemade dough using flour, butter, and a leavening agent like baking powder or yeast. These Homemade Cinnamon Rolls are perfect!
- Coconut Sugar or Raw Sugar: These can be used in place of brown or white sugar for a less refined option.
- Nutmeg or Allspice: Either can be used in addition to or instead of cinnamon for a slightly different flavor profile.
- Milk or Cream: Instead of half and half, you can use regular milk or cream in the glaze.
If you’re looking for new flavors of cinnamon rolls to try, try out these Fig and Brown Sugar Cinnamon Rolls, Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls, Spiced Orange Cinnamon Rolls, or these Dirty Chai Cinnamon Rolls.
How to make Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
To make these puff pastry cinnamon rolls, begin by preheating the oven to 400°F. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry into a large rectangle.
Brush the pastry evenly with melted butter. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon, then sprinkle this mixture over the buttered pastry. Starting from one long edge, tightly roll the pastry into a log and slice it into 1-inch pieces.
Arrange these slices on a baking sheet, cut side up, and bake for 16-18 minutes until they’re beautifully golden and puffed. Meanwhile, prepare the topping by whisking powdered sugar, half and half (or milk), and vanilla extract together.
Once the cinnamon rolls are baked, let them cool for a bit before drizzling the topping over them. Serve these delightful treats warm and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- For easy cleanup, set up a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Leave out your dough to thaw to easily manipulate it.
- Use a silicone brush to spread your melted butter easily.
FAQs for Simple Puff Pastry Dough Cinnamon Rolls
They can be baked ahead of time and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Store-bought puff pastry can be used, and it’s often a convenient option when you don’t have the time or resources to make your own pastry from scratch. If you’re working with frozen puff pastry, be sure to let it thaw either overnight, or with enough time before rolling so that it’s easy to work with.
You can make mini cinnamon rolls with puff pastry using the same filling and baking process. Simply cut the sheet of puff pastry into smaller rectangles with a sharp knife before rolling and slicing.
These Mini Cinnamon Rolls are also a great option with a flour dough!
You can serve them on their own or with a variety of accompaniments, such as hot coffee or tea, fresh fruit, whipped cream, or a drizzle of glaze made with powdered sugar and milk.