This Shrimp and Chorizo dish is perfect for when you want all of the flavors of a paella, but not enough time to do it. It’s totally enough to impress all your friends too and easy enough to do after work.
A paella usually has a toasted layer of rice on the bottom of the pan called a socarrat which gives it a more complex texture and flavor. While this dish is missing the socarrat, it’s a great starter dish to learning the flavors of paella.
That yellow rice 😍😍😍 Admittedly not as good as if you were to actually use saffron, but sometimes you just need to cut corners to eat well on a weeknight.
This dish is even good as leftovers. I had this the next day for lunch and it develops an awesome heat from the chili powder and paprika with the spices from the chorizo.
- 1 8 oz box of yellow rice, cooked with box instructions
- 1 lb chorizo cut into ½ inch slices
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 lb shrimp, deveined and peeled
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- Cook rice according to box.
- In a large skillet, cook the chorizo until done over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Move to a plate once done.
- Add peppers, onion, garlic, and peas with the chicken broth and white wine into the skillet and cook until peppers and onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, pepper, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, and paprika and cooked until shrimp are pink, about 2-4 minutes.
- Slowly mix in cooked rice and chorizo until well incorporated and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!