I’m so excited to join in on my first #SundaySupper with this Chicago Style Hot Dog! In honor of July being National Hot Dog Month, we’ve decided to bring you some of our favorite hot dog and hamburger recipes. Shoutout to Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for being a great host! Be sure to keep scrolling to find more hot dog and hamburger recipes from the #SundaySupper Tastemakers!
I’ve decided to bring you straight to the Windy City (maybe because wind would actually cool me down during these hot days…) with these Chicago Style Hot Dogs! Huge disclaimer. I am not from Chicago and I am not claiming that these are 100% authentic. Just let it happen.
- Poppy seed bun
- All beef hot dogs, Vienna Beef for the most authentic
- Yellow mustard
- Sweet neon relish (Yes neon. Seriously.. look it up. It looks radioactive!)
- Diced onions
- Tomato wedges
- Sport peppers
- Pickle spears
- Celery salt
For someone like me, some of these ingredients were impossible to find in the grocery store. Looking at you poppy seed buns, neon green relish, and sport peppers. So I improvised… and that’s probably frowned upon. While doing research about Chicago Style Hot Dogs, I have found that people are passionate about them.
If you don’t have poppy seed buns, neon green relish and sport peppers, it’s not authentic. I’m sticking it to the man and recommending other options. Watch me!
There are options for how you cook your hot dog, like steaming or boiling them. If you cook it on the grill, it’s technically a “Char-dog.” I opted to steam the hot dogs to keep them juicy. The great thing about doing that is you can steam the buns as well. I added them for the last minute while the hot dogs were cooking. If you’re like me and couldn’t find poppy seed buns, right when you take the buns out of the steam, sprinkle with poppy seeds so they’ll stick!
The sport peppers were also giving me trouble. I opted for pepperoncini peppers to keep the spice level down for the rest of my family. Other popular options I saw were whole pickled jalapenos, banana peppers, or serrano peppers. It’s really up to you and your taste preferences on that one!
Shoutout to The ChicagoDog for supplying me with most of this information! Also, pretty entertained and thrilled that the Chicago Style Hot Dog has it’s own website. That’s celeb status right there.
Just whatever you do. DO NOT PUT KETCHUP ON IT. You will be disowned immediately.
- 4 buns, poppy seed preferred (add poppy seeds to regular buns)
- 4 all beef hot dogs
- yellow mustard
- sweet relish
- ½ onion, diced finely
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 4 dill pickle spears
- 8 pickled peppers, sport peppers preferred
- celery salt
- Use a steam basket in a large pot. Heat enough water that barely touches the bottom of the steam basket and bring to boil. Place hot dogs in and cover. Cook 4 minutes. Add in buns and cook and additional minute. If you don't have poppy seed buns, sprinkle poppy seeds on buns once you take them out of the basket.
- To assemble follow this order: bun, hot dog, mustard, relish, onion, 2 tomato wedges, 1 pickle spear, two peppers, dash of celery salt.
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Idaho Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Chicken Satay Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Worldly Burgers & Dogs
- Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Sausages and Potatoes) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Spicy Shishito Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
Where’s the Beef Burgers
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
Where’s the Bun Burger
- Gluten Free Dessert Hamburgers by Gluten Free Crumbley
- How to make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- How to Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing Guide by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.